What we don't know about CORONAVIRUS?
GENERAL INFORMATION ON CORONAVIRUS
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses. They can cause diseases ranging from the common cold to more severe
diseases such as severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV). More
recently, a new virus called SARS-CoV-2 has caused the COVID-19 outbreak which started in China. For the purpose of
clear communication, World Athletics uses the term COVID-19 to refer to both the virus and the disease.
COVID-19 mainly spreads from an infected person's respiratory secretions, such as through coughing. However, faecaloral
transmission seems also possible.
Signs and symptoms
Illness associated with this new coronavirus, have respiratory symptoms that include:
• Sore throat
• Difficulty breathing
If you become ill, please wear a mask and isolate yourself from others until you are medically screened. Do not visit
a doctor’s office personally and just inform your team leader of your symptoms so you can be screened according to
prepared infection prevention procedures by the host medical team and have care provided. You should also tell your
medical provider if you have had close contact with a sick person or had another high-risk exposure.
To help prevent coronavirus infection, do the same things you do to avoid the common cold:
1. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water or with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer; especially after
sneezing, coughing, or going to the washroom, before eating or handling any food.
2. Keep your hands and fingers away from your eyes, nose, and mouth.
3. Avoid close contact with people who are infected.
4. Cough or sneeze into your forearm or elbow not your hands.
Your healthcare provider may order laboratory tests on respiratory specimens and serum (part of your blood) to detect
Treatments include taking care of yourself and over-the-counter medication:
1. Rest and avoid overexertion.
2. Drink enough water.
3. Avoid smoking and smoky areas.
4. Take acetaminophen, ibuprofen or naproxen to reduce pain and fever.
For more information please check the link